The 2009 October Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to us by Ami S. of Baking Without Fear. She chose macaroons from Claudia Fleming’s The Last Course: The Desserts of Gramercy Tavern as the challenge recipe.
Let me just start by saying that never in my life have I had a macaroon. I don’t know what they’re supposed to look like (though I learned after looking through the many photos in the Daring Kitchen forums) or what they’re supposed to taste like. I’m pretty sure I failed on both fronts.
They looked pretty, but I’m almost positive the texture was wrong and the taste just wasn’t what I was anticipating. I think part of the problem was that the cook time was wrong.
I made chocolate flavored macaroons — I don’t think I used enough cocoa powder, though — with a orange-chocolate filling (that was Billy’s idea). The filling was fantastic. The cookies…not so much. After following the recipe exactly, I took the macaroons out and the bottoms just separated from the top. I wasn’t sure how to fix this, so I just baked them longer. That seemed to take care of the problem, but then they seemed overcooked. So I ended up cooking one batch longer than the recipe called for and one for the correct time. Both turned out not-so-great, so I’m not sure what exactly the problem was. I did, however, end up with “feet” on both batches. Success on some level, I suppose.
I have to admit, it was fun trying something I’ve never done before. After all, that’s the reason I joined the Daring Kitchen anyway. Making the macaroons was definitely time consuming, but it wasn’t difficult. It was just disappointing, as always, when the results don’t match up with the effort. It was nice to know, though, that I wasn’t the only one who had a problem with the DB recipe. On a positive note though, I’ve got my first challenge under my belt and I look forward to the next!
Recipe link: French Macaroons